The new LG V40 ThinQ smartphone will be available in Australia in February and will sport an improved 6.4-inch OLED display and a whopping five cameras.
Back in October, we covered LG’s plans to release a beast of a device with some pretty over the top imaging capabilities. Now we have the full specs, price and Australian release date.
The V40ThinQ is a 158.7 x 75.8 phone, just 7.7mm thin, that operates on Android 8.2 Oreo and rocks a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chipset with 6GB of RAM.
It weighs just 169g and features a 6.4-inch (3120 x 1440) plastic OLED display which manufacturers say is designed to deliver more accurate colours and better luminance consistency. With the capacity to deliver 4.5 million pixels, just imagine how good your favourite cat videos will look on this thing!
LG prioritised high fidelity audio on the new device. The V40 ThinQ incorporates 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC sound reproduction and a boombox speaker that increases the bass by using the internal space of the device as a resonance chamber.
As the V40 is designed to act as a woofer, the bass is amplified even more when you place the phone on a solid surface or a hollow box. Pretty neat eh?
The V40 ThinQ continues the slim and light design characteristics of the previous entries in the V series, and just like its predecessor, the V40 is safe for water immersion in up to 1.5 meters deep for up to 30 minutes. Have a party at the pool? No problemo.
But the feature that’s turning heads is the inclusion of a five lens photography setup with a huge range of shooting options. The phone’s rear camera module with three different lenses: a 16MP super wide-angle, a 12MP standard angle and 12MP telephoto.
“The front camera module features a 5MP wide-angle lens and 8MP standard angle that work in tandem to create a stunning bokeh effect with an on-screen slider to adjust the amount of background blur,” wrote the company in a press release.
In comparison to the V30, the V40’s main camera delivers a greater depth of field, half the shutter lag and a significantly faster burst mode. The phone even has AI that recommends better, alternative compositions of the shot you’ve just taken.
- Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 845 Mobile Platform
- Display: 6.4-inch 19.5:9 QHD+ OLED FullVision Display (3120 x 1440 / 538ppi)
- Memory: 6GB LPDDR4x RAM / 64GB UFS 2.1 ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
- Rear Camera (3): 16MP Super Wide (F1.9 / 1.0μm / 107°) / 12MP Standard (F1.5 / 1.4μm / 78°) / 12MP Telephoto (F2.4 / 1.0μm / 45°)
- Front Camera (2): 8MP Standard (F1.9 / 1.12μm / 80°) / 5MP Wide (F2.2 / 1.12μm / 90°)
- Battery: 3300mAh
- Operating System: Android 8.1 Oreo
- Size: 158.7 x 75.8 x 7.7mm
- Weight: 169g
- Network: LTE-A 4 Band CA
- Connectivity Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.0 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- Colours: New Platinum Gray / New Moroccan Blue (colours may vary by retailer)
- Other: Cine Shot / Triple Preview / Triple Shot / AI CAM / AI Composition / Boombox Speaker / Google Assistant / Google Lens / AI Haptic / 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC / DTS:X 3D Surround Sound / Super Far Field Voice Recognition / IP68 Water and Dust Resistance / HDR10 / Face Recognition / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0 Technology (Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4 Compatible) / Wireless Charging / FM Radio
The LG V40 ThinQ comes in two colours, “Platinum Gray” and “Moroccan Blue” and will be available in early February 2019 from JB Hi-FI and Mobileciti for A$1299.