The original lightsaber wielded by Luke Skywalker in A New Hope will be on sale at an upcoming auction of film memorabilia in Los Angeles from December 11-14.
Hollywood auction house Profiles in History expects the iconic weapon to fetch up to US$200,000 (A$271,600) on the day, which seems like a perfectly reasonable price for anyone rich enough to need this in their possession.
Reuters reports there will be more than 25 props from various films, including an original black TIE-fighter pilot helmet expected to go for as much as US$300,000 (A$407,000).
If lightsabers and helmets aren’t your jam, how about a pair of C-3PO’s hands from Return of the Jedi? You might need to sell
a few all of your possessions, given pre-sale estimates price it as high as US$60,000 (A$82,000).
There’ll also be a signed Stormtrooper helmet from The Force Awakens for around US$120,000 (A$163,000), a high-speed visual effects camera used on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. and various other films for $150,000 (A$204,000), and a bunch of other highly sought-after pieces of memorabilia.
A letter accompanying Skywalker’s lightsaber details how Oscar-winning set decorator Roger Christian made the prop “using whatever I could lay my hands on at the time”.
Other items and expected purchase prices include:
- Sean Connery “James Bond 007” signature suit from You Only Live Twice.
- Sigourney Weaver “Ripley” signature combat costume ensemble from Aliens.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Terminator” hero modified Winchester shotgun from Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
- William Shatner “Captain Kirk” Starfleet tunic with insignia and rank braid from Star Trek: The Original Series.
- Type-2 Phaser pistol from Star Trek: The Original Series.
- Original Sylvester Stallone “Rambo” survival knives from First Blood and Rambo: First Blood Part II.
- Margaret Hamilton “Wicked Witch of the West” witch’s hat from The Wizard of Oz.
Visit the Profiles in History website for the full list.