Excitement is building as we approach the premiere date of the penultimate season of HBO’s Game of Thrones.
In case you missed it, a short teaser came out on March 30 and we overanalysed it here.
Well, all aboard the hype train because HBO has just released fifteen exclusive photos from Season 7 on its “Making Game of Thrones Blog”.
Here are some highlights:
1. Cersei (Lena Headey) and brother/lover Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) throwing some vintage Lannister shade at someone. For now, Jaime is still by her side but that particular alliance may not last too long.
2. New fan fave Lyanna Mormont (Bella Ramsey) looking poised to deliver another kick ass speech (“the king in the norf!!!”), with sifty sifter Littlefinger (Aidan Gillen) creeping in the background, as usual.
3. Tormund Giantsbane (Kristofer Hivju) isn’t taking no for an answer and is continuing to put the moves on Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie). This could be the start of a steamy new Thrones romance.
4. With Hodor (Kristian Nairn) gone, now Meera (Ellie Kendrick) has to drag Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) around. Bran’s been getting dragged around since Season Two. Where is he off to now?
5. Aw, Thrones’ cutest couple, Sam (John Bradley-West) and Gilly (Hannah Murray) are hitting the books together. Baby steps for Gilly who just learned to read. Meanwhile, what is that Sam’s working on? The Winds of Winter? Nah, that’ll never get finished.
There are also shots of the Hound riding a house, Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) in Dragonstone (probably) and Jon Snow (Kit Harington) looking as determined as ever. You can see the full collection here.
Notable exceptions include the Red Woman (Carice Anouk van Houten), who surely deserves more credit for bringing Jon back to life and Jorah Mormont (Iain Glen), who is dealing with a nasty dose of heartbreak (friendzoned by Khaleesi) and Greyscale.
Season 6 of the show ended with three rulers ascending their various thrones. Cersei blew up a whole bunch of folks in Kings Landing and took the Iron Throne, Daenerys began her crossing of the Narrow Sea with a horde of Dothraki and Jon was proclaimed the King in the North. Oh and on top of that, there is the Night King and his team of zombies.
Season 7 begins July 16 2017, and will no doubt look at the possible alliances and battles between these leaders. Who will end up ruling Westeros? My money is on Jon Snow and Daenerys co-ruling. My other big prediction is that Cersei will be killed by Jaime. Can’t wait to find out!