Featured Image for Instagram reveal statistics about Australian users: Female dominated, 7/10 active everyday, only share 7 posts a month
Exhale

Instagram reveal statistics about Australian users: Female dominated, 7/10 active everyday, only share 7 posts a month

Instagram has released a swathe of statistics and data about its Australian users for the first time. Here’s what stood out to us.

Instagram has often been seen as having a female skew and that’s been confirmed, with females representing 60 per cent of all users.

People between the ages of 18 and 34 make up around 70 per cent of total users, and the same demographic are also the most active.

Australians are popular – while we only follow 190 others, we have an average following of 251 followers. (The 61-person gap is presumably made up by other less popular countries. Like New Zealand.)

Instagrammers are not prolific. They only share seven posts a month, which means just over one photo or video a week makes it onto a profile. And when we say one photo or video, there’s a 76 per cent chance that’s a photo – just 24 per cent of users are posting videos.

70 per cent are active everyday, and 46 per cent use hashtags. (We’d guess 100 per cent of those 46 per cent use way too many hashtags.)

Australians follow six interests each – including the following main interests:

  • Friends (61 per cent)
  • Photography (40 per cent)
  • Travel (40 per cent)
  • Food (36 per cent)
  • Fashion (32 per cent)
  • Music (32 per cent)
  • Fitness (28 per cent)
  • Health (25 per cent)
  • Sport (23 per cent)

(All data via Instagram by Hoop Group Audience Research.)

Crunching the numbers into something more

What’s interesting here is that Instagram aren’t giving out their official number of Australian users. The only official word Techly could publish is that the app has experienced “significant growth”.

But let’s see what we can dig up.

First, as of this week according to the ABS, there are about 23,820,000 Australians.

Techly understands Instagram has had huge growth in Australia. That data couldn’t be quantified with Instagram, and can’t be correlated with any official sources, but We Are Social noted that at a recent private event Instagram revealed they had reached 5 million monthly users in Australia, which represented 30 per cent growth in the last 12 months.

That implies the total number of Australian Instagrammers sits just over that 5 million users mark, with around 21 per cent of all Australians owning an account.

That further implies something in the order of 3.5 million active users sharing approximately 24.5 million posts each month.

Globally, Instagram’s own internal data from December 2014 indicated that there are more than 300 million active users monthly. Australians are likely just two-point-something per cent of the global audience, putting us in our place somewhat.

So who is most popular in Australia?

Earlier in the year, Instagram released some info on who’s most liked, and where most people take photos on Instagram. They even took the liberty to include Kiwi Lorde!

Just a couple of the most liked photos on Instagram in Australia in 2014:

  • Iggy Azalea – 5.7 million for this photo:
  • A photo posted by Iggy Azalea (@thenewclassic) on

  • Miranda Kerr – 5.3 million
  • Makeup look today by @hungvanngo

    A photo posted by Miranda (@mirandakerr) on

  • Jessica Stein – 1.4 million –

    Sunrise from bed this morning…

    A photo posted by Jessica Stein (@tuulavintage) on

    Top Instagram geotagged locations in Australia – 2014

    1. Sydney Opera House
    2. Darling Harbour, Sydney
    3. Sydney Harbour Bridge
    4. Bondi Beach
    5. Surfers Paradise Beach
    6. The Grounds of Alexandria
    7. St Kilda Beach
    8. Circular Quay
    9. Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
    10. Coogee Beach

About the author

Tristan has a passion for tech, digital life, sport, and being told he looks better in person.

Leave a comment