Social

Well, I guess this is goodbye, Flickr

From June 30th, Flickr users will no longer be able to sign in using their Facebook and Google accounts.

Yahoo sent Flickr users the news this morning:

After June 30, Flickr will remove the option to sign in with a Facebook or Google account,” the company wrote. “Instead, you will be able to sign in using a Yahoo account. To create your Yahoo account click “Get Started” below.

We want to make this transition as easy as possible. If you have any questions, please check out our Help Articles or come see us in the Help Forum.

We appreciate your understanding during this transition.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t need that service so badly that I’m prepared to set up yet another email address, just so Yahoo! can inflate its user numbers.

I’ll bet a portion of users feel the same.

yahoo

A screenshot of the email received by Flickr users this morning.

I guess it’ll come down to how much time and content people have dedicated to their account versus the time and hassle of finding somewhere else to display their photos (like there aren’t already enough options).

Unfortunately, the transition process isn’t an uncomplicated breeze either – with many users, including here in the Techly offices, struggling to avoid being stuck in redirect-loop-limbo. We found we’d be redirected to a Google log-in screen, then back to the Flickr ‘You must create a Yahoo account page’, only to tell some of us that we’d already had a Yahoo account connected to our Google account. Whereupon we’d be logged back out again.

Yahoo customer service were helpful, but it was still a far-too-painful process.

Our tip is to head straight to your profile page/photo stream. Or consider other options.

Are you a Flickr user that signs in with Facebook or Google? Will you be keeping your account?

About the author

Claire Porter is an award-winning journalist. Previously the tech editor of news.com.au, Claire has had her work published in some of Australia’s biggest websites and newspapers.

Comment (13)

mrsean2k

Friday 6 June 2014

I view signs of less reliance / entanglement with either Facebook or Google as a positive move wrt privacy / security and longevity.

Increases my likelihood of using.

Tristan Rayner

Saturday 7 June 2014

Potentially, and I think that’s a valid reason to embrace the change. Many others will find the additional friction a breaking point moment for their relationship with Flickr. And my own personal experience with trying to make the change has been problematic, with a confusing process – much like what is mentioned in the article – requiring me to contact Yahoo support. Which isn’t ideal.

James

Friday 6 June 2014

Yahoo email account? I don’t know anyone who uses Yahoo let alone their email. Maybe if they switched to AOL and made people sign in with their Netscape browser they would have better luck? LOL

Darrell Lucas

Saturday 7 June 2014

It all depends on your computer generation growing up. I’m 32 and have a Yahoo account. The same email address I have been using for 15 years. If I was older, and I’ve seen this, I still might use an AOL email. I also have a Gmail account. In a decade maybe Gmail will look out of date.

Jough

Friday 6 June 2014

This doesn’t really seem like that big of an issue to me. Given the choice of making a yahoo account I never have to look at (you are notified of any messages sent in Flickr under FlickrMail anyway), or moving 50,000 images somewhere else because they are making Flickr more secure isn’t really a tough choice.

Frankly I thought the convenience of logging in with Google or Facebook was dwarfed by the fact that once someone can access on of those two services I use, they can now access this. The Google or Facebook Login option is not a smart choice for people anyway. It’s the equivalent (worse even) to using the same login and password on both accounts.

JV

Friday 6 June 2014

Unless they have changed something recently, you don’t need to create a yahoo mail account. You just create a yahoo user id, which you’d have already done when linking the account with Facebook or Google.

Rick

Saturday 7 June 2014

I’m still ticked off that they merged my Flickr and Yahoo accounts in the first place. That was a mismanaged boondoggle that ended up loosing me almost all of my photos. While I had them offline backed up, it was never worth my time to go back and upload them again.

Add in the last interface update that makes the site pretty much useless, especially the groups that were useful, and I don’t see why anyone uses the site at all any more.

Richard

Saturday 7 June 2014

This redirect loop limbo is essentially the reason WHY they’re moving away from supporting multiple third party logins. This is about a couple of very key points:

1. Decreasing reliance on other companies’ logins means you can take out that mess of third party code that might be interfering with your own services. Case in point: The redirect loop you’re seeing now.

2. Increasing engagement with your own brand. You seriously think that Yahoo DOESN’T want you to have an account in their ecosystem? How do you expect this company to drive any growth without it? Would you prefer that they just continue chugging along slowly, eventually wither and die off, and then leave your Flickr data in a dump somewhere? You’re telling me that you want to continue using a company’s product (most of you are using it for FREE too) and somehow don’t want them to actually succeed?

Summer

Thursday 10 July 2014

So how do I get into my flickr account long enough to delete it? I cannot get past the “you need to create a yahoo account” page…

erica

Sunday 20 July 2014

Summer, I had the same problem, when I used the link from the email they sent it forced me to set up a Yahoo account, which is exactly what I didn’t want! See this great article, http://www.itproportal.com/2014/01/25/a-guide-to-deleting-your-accounts-from-any-website-from-amazon-to-facebook/

Go to the Flickr section and follow the link they provide, it allowed me to delete the account in a few steps. I’m assuming that because I used a Google login I don’t have a Yahoo account to delete, as that link wouldn’t work for me, but the Flickr one did. Good luck!

Simon

Sunday 20 July 2014

I wasn’t that attached to Flickr, but it’s yet another site / App that Yahoo has taken over and either shut down or forced you to use via yahoo accounts that I have no interest in having. So it’s bye-bye flickr. And Yahoo takes one more step to ensure I’ll never use them again no matter what.

Tristan Rayner

Monday 21 July 2014

It’s just enough of an annoyance, and there are just enough similar / better options that I completely understand it.

Xue Faith

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Great comments everyone, TY!

Now that Yahoo has successfully f’d-up both Flickr & their logo, how long till they f-up Tumblr?